View Single Post
Old 2007-09-24, 17:07   Link #193
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBM View Post
It isn't just black and white. The TSAB is going for the slow, slow advancement. For they know that reckless advancement leads to disaster, just look at the pre-TSAB history.
And I have a feeling that their history books will show that this incident as another example of pushing to far and put the blame at the TSAB high command.
I agree with you that reckless advancement leads to disaster. But can "slow advancement" excuse any organisation from taking at least adequate measures to handle disasters? In fact, we can argue that the scope of their responsibilities demands that the TSAB must have a practical and proven approach to dealing with insurgents and LL-related criminals, as well as the various forms of muscle (in terms of technology, military strength and diplomatic capability) required to support their methods. In a way, they have forced themselves into a situation where they cannot afford to loss out to anyone. In the StrikerS manga chapter 3, we learn from Chrono and Verossa's conversation that the TSAB is already having a very hard time maintaining peace not only in the various administrated worlds, but also in Midchilda Proper itself. And one major contributor to their problems are the LLs themselves and any fool who would misuse them.

(There are times when governments rely on the reputation of their military to make sure people listen to them. Uncivilised as it may seem, the threat to use force is often referred over the actual deed, since it helps to prevent unnecessary causalities.)

And it's not slow advancement in terms of technological and military growth that plagues the TSAB. Our friends here have repeatedly pointed out the holes in the TSAB's way of doing things. And recently we are also hinted how bad their manpower management may be, with Mirificus pointing out that both Alto and Vice could have performed better in other postings compared to what they were assigned to at the start of the season. The inability to recognise talent seems to be an ongoing thing in the TSAB, and even Hayate herself laments the fact that the TSAB regards elite magi or Rare Skill Users of her like to be no more but convenient tools, and they may not even be assigned to a posting that would bring their talents to full play. Is this not sad, not only to the magi in question, but also the TSAB itself?

Also, I don;t quite understand how future historians will regard this as an example of "pushing too far". Who pushed what too far?

Quote:
However as far as we know there aren't any other governments and the only reason that Jail wasn't caught sooner is because the TSAB higher ups covered for him.
That isn't a normal situation.
Agreed.

Quote:
She is an ace, Yuuno hit the in one in a billion shot. It isn't normal.
True.

However, I must add that being rare does not equate to being impossible. And a team of well-trained A-ranked or even B-ranked magi terrorists (equivalent to the Armed Troopers) can still post a sizable threat.

Imagine a squad of Tiana Lansters, equally cunning, ruthless and well-equipped in the hands of one like Scaglietti or worse.

Quote:
Truely dangerous LL are rare. And TSAB forces are usually up to the task in controling it, and when they aren't they resort to the Arc cannon.
A very basic/simple strategy, which works in normal cases.
We don't really know if dangerous Lost Logia are really that rare. To be fair, we also don't know otherwise, but one of the fundamentals behind disaster preparation is to assume the worst scenario, which in our case would lead us to classify all LLs as dangerous. From the above mentioned conversation in StrikerS chapter 3, we also learn that the inappropriate use of LLs has already lead to the destruction of many worlds. Judging from this, we can safely say that our pessimistic assumption should not be off by much.

Quote:
I thought that you were talking about the source of lost logica, which is indeed lost or they wouldn't be called lost logica.
So what were you talking about?
Oops, my apologies. I thought you were talking about the LLs themselves, and not Al Hazard.

I apologise if this seems rather incoherent.

Signature by liro