View Single Post
Old 2009-10-14, 21:29   Link #261
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
I'd agree as far as the actual powers are concerned: I'd want her to keep them. However, I also don't want her to end up still pinning her life's hopes on encountering strange outside forces. Especially if she retains her powers and learns of them, I'd hope she'd become a much more active agent in making the world extraordinary.

Also, with regards to what you said about her relinquishing her powers for Kyon being unsatisfactory, that would in turn rob Kyon of a major opportunity for his own growth, which would be to suck it up and say "I know a girl who is effectively a god, has caused me no end to trouble and is the last sort of person I'd wanted to admit existed...and I love her/care about her/whatever anyway."

So yeah. We're agreed on that.
Exactly.

I get what you meant now; it would be very odd for Haruhi, aware of her vast powers, to still be wanting to encounter strange outside forces.

She herself is a strange force, and if she knows this, she should come to become happy in her own skin.

That, to me, would be a good way for the franchise to end. With Haruhi finding what she always wanted to find... but finding it in her own person, instead of in the outside world.

And, at the same time perhaps, she finds that since she's extraordinary, a relationship with a "normal" guy named Kyon, is something that appeals to her as a way of keeping her grounded. The ultimate ying/yang juxtaposition ending.