View Single Post
Old 2012-07-02, 11:26   Link #1797
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter

If Saki's +-0 is the counter-ability to Teru's continuous streak, what's Teru's equivalent of Saki's kan and Rinshan Kaihou? I guessed that answer will keep me going for another 3 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei
Just for the curious, it used to be theorized that Teru's equivalent to Rinshan Kaihou was Nine Gates or Nine Lanterns, which is essentially a hand whose chance to get is absolutely minuscule, even compared to Saki's rinshan (which people say is just a 2% chance in any normal game). However, Achiga has shown us the truth of the matter, which is the "devil's mirror" that Teru uses to analyze her opponent's play styles, after which she goes after them like a freight train without any breaks.
I wouldn't discount Teru having nine gates as her finishing yakuman yet. Based on the pv of the original season... there are eight mirrors/eight lanterns behind Teru and one mirror appeared behind Yuuki and then Teru does a weird attack motion where she look like she is going to ron Yuuki...

Awaii-san from MAL has kindly posted a chart. If Teru follows a pattern in her consecutive wins it would look more or less like this...
5th consecutive wins = mangan
6th = haneman
7th= baiman
8th = sanbaiman
9th = would be yakuman

nine gates = nine mirrors = nine consecutive wins
Maybe when Teru is in 9th consecutive winning streak the yakuman that she will get or activated would be nine gates... considering how many waits is possible with that hand it seems to be the ideal yakuman for Teru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling
So, by these conditions, I think Teru's play in this match was limited by two factors:

1) Of course, the fact that Kuro was hoarding all the dora, meaning Teru had to search for more complicated hand formations to keep increasing her winnings
2) Kirame's pons. Teru's ability to advance her hand obviously depends on having the opportunity to draw in the first place. Because Kirame kept ponning tiles from the others, sometimes cooperatively even just to let the other players have a chance at winning, Teru often lost her turn. Although Kirame was the best example of this throughout this match, in essence you could just say that Teru was held back by the cooperation of her opponents.
I agree with Sol falling's analysis of Teru's playstyle. I also think that the reason Teru was not that "dangerous" is because she is fighting 1 vs. 3 and the other 3 have abilities that are very well suited to fighting Teru.

To add to what Sol have said
1. Kirame's who have probably called the most in the match is seated after Teru meaning she is the perfect person to call since anytime she calls Teru's turn is skipped.
Beside that Kirame has the "not going down below zero ability" which looks useless but its perfect for weathering Teru's onslaught. It also helps that Kirame's personality is just so subara that it even pulled Toki up when she was beginning to despair.

2. Kuro's doras is already explained.

3. Toki is probably the most important component using her mahjong precognition she was able to stop most of Teru's dealer streaks meaning Teru never got to the largest hands.
Beside that she is actively hampering Teru's hands if we assume that Teru must make hands that has many waits so that even if Toki disrupted the drawing order she will still be able to win.

Now, when the finals come only one ability out of the three would be there to limit Teru so her rampage would be more unchecked. And if previous discussions that Teru is purposely not destroying teams at the vanguard match so her team could get experience is true, then the only time we will be sure to see Teru really serious is in the final match.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote