View Single Post
Old 2010-04-26, 21:55   Link #85
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Roy wasn't facing a nuclear apocalypse, though. The anime didn't cover the full Ishval arc so maybe I've forgotten most of it, but the Ishvallan's seemed like they pretty much could've been rounded up (er, massecred :P) without any of Roy's help. There was no 'greater cause' to Roy's participation really;
I don't really wanna get into this discussion which I consider to be fruitless, but thought I'd point this out since the Ishval arc from the manga is still fresh in my mind as I've read it many times (it's one of my favorite volumes).

Amestris' regular soldiers were getting absolutely destroyed by the Ishvalan warrior priests. According to the soldiers themselves, one priest was enough to take out about ten of the soldiers. So yeah, the coming of the State Alchemists was an absolute necessity in order for them to win the war without getting half of the country's army killed in the process.

This is often overshadow by his killings, but Mustang actually saved a lot of lives in that war, as seen by the scene where the men from his squad thank him for protecting them (which didn't make it to the anime, unfortunately). And no obviously I'm not saying that makes up for his killings (Roy himself couldn't even bring himself to be the least bit happy about it), but hopefully people get the point.