View Single Post
Old 2010-05-30, 02:55   Link #2035
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I finally saw it tonight. I am not happy, just simply not happy. Rei's character was destroyed. Asuka's character was deformed, Mari really was pointless, and Shinji was fine until the concluding moments of the Zeruel fight, but then acted very uncharacteristically. Anno dumped all his suddenness apparently. Never before have the characters shared their thoughts and feelings with the other characters and the audience as much as in this movie.

Unnecessary amounts of fan service detected in this movie.

If I was rating the movie as an unbiased observer, I'd give it a 8.5. Unfortunately, the rating plummets into the 6.5-7.0 range because Evangelion has a lot to live up to.

I will write a more detailed review later.

Kid, if you're 18 now you were a baby subsisting on a diet of milk and subsolid foods when the original EVA was first released.

It has been 15 years and Hideaki Anno has changed, for the better. And so have all the fans who watched Evangelion at its debut or early on and have grown up 10-15 years later. The distance for you may only be a few small years, you probably do not realize how SIGNIFICANT the changes to the characters are to Anno and the series' fans after all this time.

Sure, some fans may be stuck in 1995 with the Evangelion drenched with existential dread, anxiety and angst. Anno has certainly moved on; as much as EVA TV was a manifestation of his psyche then, EVA Rebuild (note - rebuild, not remake) is a manifestation of his pscyhe now.

I loved 2.22, and I still love the original Eva. Can't wait for 3.0 and 4.0, and then have a mega collection and watch them all all over again!
arias is offline   Reply With Quote