View Single Post
Old 2007-11-14, 19:23   Link #153
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
The problem with S2 is what insight into Yuji? S1 I personally got plenty, S2 there is none that can be easily explained right now without a plot hole. He is acting overly unobservant of his situation, he doesn't seem to notice or care much about how Yoshida and Shana are obviously in pain over his actions. Sure maybe they are acting over the top too, but isn't that another sign of bad writing? Lots of people acting over the top just to build up a scenario?
see, but we're the only ones seeing the pain.

Yuji saw absolutely nothing from Yoshida, just that she wasn't around at lunch. And even then he was still getting lunches from her. And again, when it comes down to it, he doesn't really care about Yoshida. He's not going to freak out because she's suddenly not imposing herself on him.

And Shana? What, you suddenly forget what happened at the end of last season? remember Shana being jealous over Yuji saying he was leaving to protect the humans in Misaki City? Yuji didn't figure out Shana wanted to hear "I want to go with you" there. Where's Yuji figuring out Shana is jealous of Kazumi? What exactly about this situation makes Yuji somehow "dumber"? Yes, there's a plot hole, which was Yuji not hearing Shana. (and that's not even really a plot hole, it's just kinda lame) But assuming you accept that, and that Yuji and Shana haven't moved to a next stage in their relationship because of that, nothing and I do mean nothing else is a plot hole. Yuji still ends up being nice to girls, (and people in general for that matter) Shana still ends up moping in places he can't see her. And after this episode we've moved from Yuji thinking "well, Shana has some problem with Konoe, and she's not showing up to practice, I should find out what it is" to "well, Shana is getting along with Konoe now, and that only took a few days, I guess it wasn't as big a problem as I thought."

At least in terms of characterization, its not bad writing at all. now if you want to argue its bad writing in terms of plot, be my guest.

Last edited by ashlay; 2007-11-14 at 20:20.