View Single Post
Old 2011-04-29, 10:22   Link #2060
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Hm...I dunno. After the rewatch and movies, I feel like I understand a lot more about what they did...and I'd say that they weren't doing that.

They just want fans to be a bit more observant, reading between the lines and all that.
Hey, I'm only half-joking, here.
I absolutely love the ending of the second movie, by what you guys have shared with us poor japanese-challenged people. And I didn't really mind the end of the TV series all that much, either. Not really one of the "DIE YOU FILTHY HIPPIE" crowd, myself.

However, I can appreciate a good misdirection and (why not?) some artful trolling. Sometimes, I think that's exactly the kind of thing that keeps a product (be it a TV series, a movie, a book, a comic, whatever) fresh in the collective memory of the consuming public.

Nevertheless, Gubaba seems to be indirectly implying that the producers are sort-of-lightly-indirectly trolling a certain percentage of fandom. I find it funny, myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Would you agree that ALL good storytelling "manipulates people's emotional equilibrium"?
I would, yes. But you're the one who supplied the quote, as regards a definition of what a troll does, not me.
And being manipulative is only so good if it's subtle. Heavy pandering detracts from a product, most of the time.