View Single Post
Old 2007-06-29, 13:00   Link #40
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by retardation
4. saiunkoku monogatari - is this the same kinda thing as 12 kingdoms or fushigi yugi? is this more of a statecraft thing or more of a personal thing? i imagine it's something like those chinese period soaps that i see on the multicultural channel. is there fighting in this? i don't need fighting or anything but i'm just curious? sex?
It's pretty much like those Chinese shows. Saiunkoku Monogatari is mostly concerned with palace politics in a China-that-never-was; while it does bear some resemblence to Twelve Kingdoms, the focus and tone are quite a bit different. In particular, the setting is nowhere nearly as ambitious. According to my recollection, it has a small amount of fights, but no sex. By the way, the music composer also composed the music for Twelve Kingdoms.

Quote:
5. otogi zoshi - dunno where i'll find this anyway but the box cover does look pretty badass and the only two other production ig series i saw, blood + and xxxholic were very good.
It's a decent show, but it's also quite different from Blood+ and Xxxholic. It's a show with two disparate halves. The first half is based on the same legend that Production IG's earlier Kai Doh Maru was based on - Minamoto no Raikou (even though they changed the genders for some of the characters). It's a pretty decent look at some classical Japanese stories. The second half is a thematic continuation of the first, but it now takes place in modern Tokyo. I think that it plays better to anyone who's been to Tokyo - just about all visitors would have taken the Yamanote line, and both it, and its stops play a major role in the story.

Quote:
6. pani poni dash - i'm looking for something fun for real but i dunno if i share the same tastes as a lot of you guys. i did like that jungle wa whatever show. that was good. good looks on that to the ppl who recommended it to me. i also dig school rumble and azumanga. however, lemme tell you guys, i cannot get with lucky star which seems to be the current comedy rage. this pani poni business seems like it's along the same lines.
while Pani Poni Dash and Lucky Star are somewhat different, their gags function pretty much the same way, and a fan of one is very likely to be the a of the other. Both shows are overly reliant on parodies and in-jokes for their humour, and I find the effect to be much less funny than they could be otherwise. Moreover, Pani Poni Dash also suffers somewhat from the Xanth syndrome. As mdauben said, both School Rumble and Azumanga Daioh are much more accessible than it.