View Single Post
Old 2012-07-12, 10:48   Link #6025
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I've had a similar situation. I didn't have the luxury of being able to tell the leader to cool it, so I just went in with the new schedule.

The night owl theory isn't a pure myth, but it also seems to me that it's a bit overemphasized. It's all about habit. Get into the habit of going to bed on time (set 11 PM as an absolute limit, and aim to go before 10), getting a proper amount of sleep, and waking up early. Do that for some amount of time, and you'll no longer be a "night owl."

But old habits die hard. I haven't been on the "night owl" schedule for many years, but if I'm not watching the clock, I can easily be up until sunrise. Do that even once and it can screw up your entire schedule for the next few days, as you'll be playing catch-up with your sleep/wake cycles and you'll be forcing yourself to stay awake and go to sleep at times that won't feel natural anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I'm still an undergrad so I haven't had the freedom of flexing my schedule like you are with postgrad research but I am same with Ledgem. It's a habit that just has to be overcome, despite being a habit to easily fall into for students/young people. In the end, waking up in the morning for work of any sort will become the schedule. Because my undergrad is a co-op, I have to wake up at 6:00 am every day when it's a work term. But as soon as it hits the weekends, it's sleep at 3 am and wake up at 12 noon.

Makes me cringe whenever I get reminded how unhealthy it is to change sleep/meal schedules.

I have to say that your team leader is being really uptight it is. I think he/she is clearly aware of what kind of sleep schedule students and just pushing a morning time anyways. When I negotiate lab meets with my group, we always go with 10 am to whenever dinner/supper is.
A bit relieved knowing that the habit could be fixed. I used to always come to school on time back in high school so it's not entirely impossible for me

But... i don't know. I still in doubt whenever thinking about how comparing to other time of the day, 8 pm - 4am is still the longest duration that your mind can concentrate in something without being distracted....

And sometime when you watched those anime, or playing those games when you feel begging the God (of gaming,and Haruhi) to see just one more episode/ play one more campaign. I guess all night entertainment have to be reserved to weekend from now on D: