View Single Post
Old 2008-02-02, 03:49   Link #53
Saber Cherry
Marionette

I like the big eyes too.

Over the years, eyes have been getting bigger and bigger and bodies have been getting smaller and smaller. Consider, for example, Manabi Straight, with perhaps 5-pound eyes on 50-pound "high-school student" bodies, or the various Key characters - which when I first saw them in maybe 2001, seemed to have humongous eyes, but they now seem mainstream! And Digi Charat, a noble pioneer of the trend - not only did they have eye lasers, but Puchiko's body could fit inside either of her eyes! Now compare them to the contorted characters of the 70s, that practically looked... human. Anime head technology - how much brain they can cram in the base of the skull, leaving the rest of the space for immense, beautiful eyes - is improving even faster than computer ships are shrinking. A modern anime character with one eye closed can still have more eye surface area than than Pai from 3x3 eyes, with all eyes open.

I am both scared and excited by the ultimate destination of this trend. How much of an anime character, by mass, can be eyeball before they start looking *worse*, not *better*? I look forward to the day when some mad genius of an artist produces an anime character with an eye bigger than the entire character itself!
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote