View Single Post
Old 2012-02-05, 21:48   Link #77
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by syke123 View Post
This is the best interpretation i could think of.

A group of criminals figured out a special way of getting out of jail. When they succeeded and escaped, said tecnique was used around the world in many prisons. These escaped criminals slaughtered any who would make them go back to jail, and fought for they're freedom. Now a powerful figure has stepped up and taken command as the head of the organization behind the uprisings. He intends to seize a city and turn it into a city of crime where all criminals can live happily ever after. But he fails and gets thrown into a highly secured assylum.

In the meantime these criminals fight to survive killing any who would make them go back to jail. A few years later with the help of his organization the powerful figure escapes from the asylum, and declares that instead of seizing a city he intends to create his own. But the creation of said city would lead to a increase in crime around the world, and isn't supported by any government. Retalliations are made, but the government refuses to swiftly clear the ongoing threat due to the amount of controversy it'll bring about............the rest will just bring spoilers//

I get that the tomogara aren't criminals but they have no right to be in this world to begin with, so they don't deserve your sympathy.
The rest of your analogy is pretty good, but the part I bolded is a bit off.

For the analogy to work, the creation of this Crime City would, at least in the short-to-medium term, lead to a decrease in crime around the world. But there's the question of what might happen if, some decades in the future, this new Crime City would implode upon itself, bringing problems for the rest of the world.

In the short to medium-term, Crime City would almost certainly make things better for the rest of the world. But in the long-term, it may well worsen matters.

Yuji's willing to take that risk, while Shana isn't. That's basically what it comes down to, and it's thankfully reflective of how Yuji has always been the more optimistic of the two (thus managing to make the conflict between the two not destroy either of their established characterizations). I can see where both are coming from here.

That being said, almost all tomogara are criminals. They essentially kill/murder innocent people. If anything, you could argue that what they do is even worse than that. I'm honestly a bit disappointed at how casually that's being excused on this thread, it seems. This much, at least, is clear-cut evil, in my view. What most tomogara do is incredibly destructive and harmful to others. If they could be charged in a normal court of law, almost all of them would be serving life sentences for serial killing, or even facing capital punishment in some countries.

Honestly, I could understand the Flame Haze not wanting these criminals getting to go to a paradise after the crimes they've committed. At a deeper unstated level, this might be a motivation for some of them.

Yuji (as in the mystes off of a consumed human; as in not Snake of the Festival) isn't doing this for the tomogara. He's doing this first and foremost for Shana, to free her from a life of endless conflict and almost certain death in combat at some point. A likely secondary motive is the short to mid-term benefit of humanity as a whole. Yuji's chief goals are just conveniently compatible with Snake of the Festival's goals; I doubt Yuji cares much for the tomogara or the Flame Hazes in general.

Bal Masque is merely his tool, not his new best buds, as funny as the idea might be.

Anyway, this was a pretty good episode. I very much liked the 2nd half, and the first half was decent. Good to see the main human characters in this maintain some relevance right to the end.

9/10.