View Single Post
Old 2012-08-24, 16:13   Link #47
Maerskian

@VampirePaladin

Quote:
As a magical girl fan I just want to point out that it is FAR from the first to do the mahou shoujo deconstruction sub-genre. As in the genre can be considered over a decade old.

Quote: Originally Posted by bhl88
Princess Tutu is one... along with Utena.

I'd also throw Mai Hime into the list. So is Cutie Honey The Live if you go into live action adaptations.
Hmmmmm.... i had in mind "purist" Mahou-Shoujo shows as Madoka points straight at 'em, although if we include Utena & Princess Tutu , yes, you'd absolutely right about 'em ... even so.... i'm having a hard time fitting those titles into the Mahou-shoujo category:

Princess Tutu is more related to deconstruction of several classic fairytales, with some classical dance references ...

Utena... well, you have the typical magical transformation of the female character there... but still can't see it...

Mai-Hime .... doesn't fit the mahou-shoujo genre IMHO in any possible way... it was more fight-oriented ... but they used female characters with mini-skirts for some other reasons ... yes, they have that transformation routine, but that's pretty much all they share in common.

Not that what i just said hold some weight on its own, as i can't even recall a decent list of mahou-shoujo shows so we could agree on the basics for this shows.... although as far as i remember, the more purist shows tend to display childish looking ( or childs ) characters & display some kind of easygoing mood ... like classical anime series ( would name Kemono no souja now that i'm with it ).

I was thinking, for example: Mahou no Tenshi Creamy Mami .
Yeah... yeah... i know is way too old, but keep in mind that i grew with that ... plus Dragonball , Saint Seiya , Hokuto No Ken , Touch , Kimagure Orange Road , Maison Ikkoku , Ranma 1/2 , Lum , Kabuto .... and of course, Heidi & several other classical anime series i can't remember right now....
Maerskian is offline   Reply With Quote