View Single Post
Old 2006-10-03, 05:29   Link #58
wao
OK.

Yeah, and there's still 'old-style' mecha anime (if you can call it that) like the newer Gaiking still being made. And there's that Dancougar remake you mentioned and there's GAINAX's Gurren-Lagann as well (that's not old-style but I think it'll be mech-heavy too)...
I don't think mecha is dying in Japan, it's just that it doesn't have the whole boom of the 80s - and it can't be helped because there will always be some rising and falling fad. Now it's moe and bishoujo-game conversion sort of things (which I don't particularly enjoy) which seem to be sticking around longer, but eventually that will pass as well (not saying you won't have any more of those kind of anime in the future, but probably less of it). Whatever makes money...

I guess I can hope it's fun like Eureka 7, although I think Eureka 7 had more a more refined/unusual flavour to it. Sure it had it's usual cheesy "WE'RE ALL IN IT TOGETHER!!" kind of lines (and generally -_- scriptwriting) but you've got to agree the designs in general were all really quite good, and I thought the design sense was more to my taste than the ones in Code Geass.
I guess a lot has to do with the character designs (Kenichi Yoshida >>>>(unpassable wall)>>> CLAMP/Takahiro Kimura, in my book) but I thought the whole DJ/hippie flavour was kind of interesting. It was like abit of the 60s with a modern face.

Oh what am I saying, I'll probably be giggling at the screen when Lelouch and Suzaku have "!! WE'RE BEST FRIENDS BUT WE HAVE TO FIGHT EACH OTHER ;_;" kind of scenes. I'll admit I enjoyed it in Gundam Seed enough to marathon the whole thing...