View Single Post
Old 2013-02-23, 14:47   Link #91
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzerocustoom View Post
It didn't had much details on how Kirito get to meet/saved the Sachi & her members before joining their guild, how kirito meet up with Agil & become his regulars.
How Asuna was been recruited to the blood knights guild and much more things.
In overall the details were been cutted off from this anime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceyfw View Post
details... i like details in whatever entertainment medium i read or watch. that is the one major pet peeve i have with this anime adaptation. the details the LN covered didn't make it into the dialogue. i.e. kirito's stats in ALO and how it worked. also the lack of a proper explanation about extra skills in SAO.
I'm honestly not sure if it's realistic to expect any visual adaptation of a novel to retain all the details of the original source, because a) all those details aren't necessarily suited to a visual medium, b) they're not always essential to conveying the plot, and c) it'd take a lot more time, and this would impact the show's pacing. I think one of the trickiest parts of anime writing (and one of the more underrated) is making each episode work well in its 24-minute time so that each episode stands alone, while also fitting into the overall sequence. I'm not necessarily saying that they got the balance perfectly here or that they didn't make any mistakes... but it's hard to think of any novel adaptation that didn't drop a lot of detail, since detail is something particularly well suited to the written word. I actually don't think this is even unique to anime either (thinking of Hollywood movie adaptations...).

Again, this isn't necessarily trying to change opinions, but more of an observation. If the measuring stick for the anime was "adapt everything from the novels", that may have been impossible from the get-go. And of the points that have been mentioned so far, at least, I'm not sure that adding them would have helped propel or develop the plot, although certainly interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceyfw View Post
some scenes not adapted in SAO and ALO. i.e. kirito not showing lisbeth the dual wield skill in the anime. and i understand why. it didn't fit into their budget to animate that scene.
This particular example at least wasn't a matter of budget, but rather a matter of story sequencing. In the anime, we didn't yet know about dual-wield at that time, and revealing it in the Lisbeth episode would have been a heck of a lot less dramatic. This way, the second sword served as foreshadowing for the eventual reveal. Some of the other decisions about what material to cut were also made with this sort of planning in mind.