View Single Post
Old 2013-02-26, 04:08   Link #92
iceyfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I'm honestly not sure if it's realistic to expect any visual adaptation of a novel to retain all the details of the original source, because a) all those details aren't necessarily suited to a visual medium, b) they're not always essential to conveying the plot, and c) it'd take a lot more time, and this would impact the show's pacing. I think one of the trickiest parts of anime writing (and one of the more underrated) is making each episode work well in its 24-minute time so that each episode stands alone, while also fitting into the overall sequence. I'm not necessarily saying that they got the balance perfectly here or that they didn't make any mistakes... but it's hard to think of any novel adaptation that didn't drop a lot of detail, since detail is something particularly well suited to the written word. I actually don't think this is even unique to anime either (thinking of Hollywood movie adaptations...).
i get what you're saying. i blame the time constraint these people deal with, and have to short change on some things from the original source. i can see anime adaptations getting better if they could end at episode 15 or 19 but it'll most likely never happen with how the Japanese anime industry is right now with their TV time slots, or rather the TV station itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
Again, this isn't necessarily trying to change opinions, but more of an observation. If the measuring stick for the anime was "adapt everything from the novels", that may have been impossible from the get-go. And of the points that have been mentioned so far, at least, I'm not sure that adding them would have helped propel or develop the plot, although certainly interesting.
it would have certainly built more suspense if they gave details on how extra skills worked in SAO. just the smallest details can build up to great suspense, and make the audience go "Holy nuggets!" or "Aww yeah!" when it comes to the revelation. not needed to advanced the plot like you said, but it certainly does give a better feel of how the rules of the SAO skill system works and the question of how a one-of-a-kind unique overpowered extra skill happened to land in his lap. again something i'm sure the anime only viewers would have deeply speculated if they had explained it properly. info from healthcliff didn't give me an impact in the anime like it did in the LN when he explained how kirito obtained <dual wield>

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame
This particular example at least wasn't a matter of budget, but rather a matter of story sequencing. In the anime, we didn't yet know about dual-wield at that time, and revealing it in the Lisbeth episode would have been a heck of a lot less dramatic. This way, the second sword served as foreshadowing for the eventual reveal. Some of the other decisions about what material to cut were also made with this sort of planning in mind.
i honestly believe it's a mix of both after trying to view it from your perspective. more on the time constraint also. again i am assuming since i don't have access to the company ledger of how much money they originally had for the SAO project, and how much they ended up spending after animating 25 episodes + TV time slot + voice actors + OST + advertisements for the PSP game. i do agree revealing the extra skill <dual wield> would have been much less dramatic. seemingly i was right about why they changed it since i posted about the change in the weekly anime and LN comparison thread way way way back. i still wish they would have at least make Lisbeth question why kirito would need another strong one-handed sword since he already had one. wait a minute... the anime didn't even mention how ridiculous it would be to wield kirito's one-handed black sword if the player didn't have an incredibly high strength stat. nor of how... never mind! bleh.

well they got what they wanted in the end. DVD/BD are selling well and the LN numbers went up. all went well for them regardless of how some, if not most, LN readers feel.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote