Thread: HD wars redux
View Single Post
Old 2008-02-19, 16:16   Link #85
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Am I the only person here who's interested in using these new formats for data storage? I know it's a few years off but I wouldn't mind it if it helped to drive the price of dual-layer DVDs down. Now that a format is decided, manufacturers should focus on one and bring costs down.
No, and the prices keep falling on BR burners, too. I used to think a PS3 was the way to go, but I think it's more likely I'll end up with a burner in the PC connected to my TV. Other than the new Ratchet&Clank game, there's nothing yet that so caught the fancy of either me or my daughter that it made owning a PS3 worth the money. I actually bought an upscaling DVD player when I bought an HDTV, but I now realize that I could have played those DVDs with Kaffeine or Kplayer and upscaled them via my nVidia card.

Of course, I can't watch current HD movies on Linux because they're protected by DRM, but I don't expect that situation to last forever. In the short run, I guess I could always boot up that Vista partition I've got somewhere.

At $16 for 25 GB, the blank BR discs can't touch regular DVD/RW discs for value, but like you I'm hoping that will change.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote