View Single Post
Old 2011-10-20, 05:57   Link #129
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
What is it: Main characters that don't stand up for themselves.

Worse Offenders: Kore wa Zombie, Desu ka, Index/Railgun, Zero no Tsukaima, Asu no Yoichi, Love Hina, Fullmetal Panic, and Oreimo.

Notable Expectations: Sasha from Seikon no Qwaser is a good example. Walks into bathroom, girl throws stuff at him and makes the effort to dodge and makes snide remarks about it. For a 13 year old kid, he rocks.

What Makes it Popular: How we get to see ways the main character lands himself in that situation and what he'll do or say to appease the wrath of the heroine he's angered, to create the comical overtone.

How I Hate It: They just take the abuse and shrug it off as if it never happened, and never stick up for themselves. They're nice guys who do so much for people/heroines, but never get the respect or treatment they deserve. Patience is a good thing but there's a limit to how one should put up with things that keep happening just because of just cause.

Is This Hate Worth It: I don't know because it's a popular recurring theme and as much as I hate it, I do find it funny. The main character just continues to be the punching bag and all we, the fans, can do is cheer for them and see how they'll continue to live or overcome the abuse they receive.

Last edited by Kirito; 2011-10-27 at 01:15.
Kirito is offline   Reply With Quote