View Single Post
Old 2013-04-16, 08:59   Link #392
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurers123 View Post
Also, when was this "coming out?"
The "coming out" I was referring to is when Reiner suddenly blurted out to Eren that: "Oh, by the way I'm the armored Titan and my friend here is the Colossal Titan. You know... the ones who are responsible for your mother's death among several other thousands of people. Yep, that's us."

He had a bad injury on his arm at that very moment, a broken bone and wounds left by a Titan's bite.

Quote:
So the reason for having the Scout Legion is to explore the world beyond Wall Maria and to find out more about the Titan right? If that's the case I don't get Eren's comment in the last panel.
I had forgotten about that. This confirms how the government is systematically trying to erase any knowledge about the outside world from the mind of its citizens. And I guess it's not just geographical but also historical. They obviously have no idea of what the world was before the Titan.

Seriously, do you think it's even remotely believable that they lost any knowledge of what lies beyond the walls or that they never knew to begin with? And yet it seems that the scouting legion doesn't even have a map of the territories beyond.

Or is it really possible that the King or whoever is in command doesn't know about the walls and whatever the "clergy" knows about them?

This naturally begs a question: why creating a scouting legion, if what the government wants is to keep people inside the walls and make them forget about what's beyond?

I can only speculate on what's the answer, but I think this is probably a convoluted political strategy, not unlike the so called "attack to retake the lost territory" which was just a disguised massacre of civilians.

There's probably a lot of people like Eren, people that can't help but wishing to explore the outside world in spite of all the effort the government and the clergy made to dissuade them to even think about that.
The way they chose to deal with them was simply to let them have what they wanted, with the almost certainty that the only thing that they would achieve would be to become food for the titans. It just saved them the trouble to kill them themselves as heretics.
It also served the double purpose of making examples out of them for everyone else. "See what you get for trying to fight with Titans?"
For a hundred years this strategy worked.

The scouting legion, in other words, has always been nothing but a way to gather and prune undesired individuals who asked too many questions.
If you think about it, such system is a lot more efficient than overtly attacking them, which would only cause such individuals to recognize the government as an enemy and form a resistance group.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote