Thread: Socialization
View Single Post
Old 2009-08-22, 08:37   Link #23
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedan View Post
Maybe I didn't really explain myself correctly, sorry. Don't you think it is natural for a human to try interact with another human? Would you find it more natural for a human to interact with a tree? Humans will naturally congregate together. Like I said, there are things one person cannot do without the help of another. Additionally, there are things one person can do that the other can't. To be completely self-sufficient is virtually impossible. This is what has given birth to societies. People grouped together to form villages and eventually cities. For this reason people socilize. Humans need each other by the end of the day.
I don't know if you can really count congregation for the purpose of survival as "socializing" though. I mean, I'm perfectly capable of getting together with a few other people and working toward a singular goal without being the slightest bit social. Depending on how good the direction of the activity is, I might not have to say two words the entire time. Just because humans require other humans to accomplish certain goals does not inherently mean that they are being social.

As far as the topic of reproduction goes, I have never felt any desire or need to reproduce or to engage in any activity that may result in reproduction. That doesn't mean that what I have never considered is not handled instinctively by another individual.

I would say that in general, it would have to be instinctual, because if you look at it logically, there are millions of people who should not be reproducing (people with high risk of genetic deformation, etc) and yet they still do. I would say that it has to be handled by a very powerful instinctive drive, because otherwise the people in question would realize the potential damage their reproduction could cause to the gene pool.

It is not an inherently social activity, though.

Last edited by Neat Hedgehog; 2009-08-22 at 09:07. Reason: dopey spelling error
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote