View Single Post
Old 2011-01-08, 02:30   Link #37
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagabaka View Post
I don't think the choice of video codec should be based on how well it performs currently. You do need to think about how users will be watching the videos. Fansubs are a type of videos, and often a part of the web too. The development of HTML5 should have a weight in the choice of codecs by fansubbers.

As you might know, Firefox doesn't support h264 in HTML5 video, so it can only rely on Flash to play h264 videos. This would not be a problem if Flash always worked well, but haven't you had experiences of buggy, sluggish video due to problems in Flash or the various Flash video players? I understand that the situation is better in Windows than in Linux or Mac, and that not all Flash players are buggy, and a non-Flash video player isn't necessary bug-free. Still, with HTML5 you only need a working browser, instead of dealing with potential bugs in one of many Flash players chosen by the webmaster. Speaking of webmasters, the code needed to embed HTML5 videos is cleaner than for Flash too, and you don't need to host a Flash movie in addition to the video. Almost all videos I watch online are either on YouTube, or are animes. YouTube already converts most new uploads to vp8, so if fansubbers start using vp8 too, Firefox users like me would be able to significantly reduce the need for Flash.

There are "advantages" with Flash videos too: you can embed ads and prevent the user from downloading the video. But come on, are they really advantages for users? Are we more likely to support a website because its contents are easy to get, or because it forces us to watch/click ads and stay on that site?

Firefox users have requested it to support h264 video, but Mozilla does not think it can legally do so without paying MPEG-LA. There's little evidence for the contrary either, because while Google Chrome and Safari can play h264 videos without Flash, Google and Apple are licensees of MPEG-LA. Fansubbers and fansub watchers might be already skirting the law, but isn't it still better to avoid potential lawsuits from one more company?
This is the dumbest shit I have read all week, and I read a lot of dumb shit. Either you are trolling (likely) or you are a certified retard. Some random counterpoints in no particular order follow.

You seem to be under the impression that it's a good idea to reuse fansubs as-they-are for web streaming. This is a retarded idea for the following reasons:
1) HTML5 doesn't support ASS subtitles and WebSRT or whatever they are calling it these days is a bad joke, or at least it would be if it was something more than vaporware, which it isn't.
2) >3mbit/s extremely VBR video streams are extremely unsuited to a streaming environment. You'd have to reencode anyway to get a file that is useable as a stream to most people.
3) Your web browser is not a good media player. No, really, if you think it is, get the fuck out.

I like (ironically) your herp-derp concern trolling regarding lawsuits too, but it's even dumber than the rest of your post. Even if the actual argument (that it'd be a good idea to try to avoid software patent infringements when encoding warez videos) had any kind of merit at all (it doesn't, you're retarded), it would be sorta invalidated by the fact that the responsibility for getting a patent license with the MPEG-LA lies with the entity distributing your media player and/or H264 encoder, not with either a) the person encoding the video or b) the person watching the video. If you're going to play internet lawyer and hurf a durf about patents, at least read up on the MPEG-LA licensing terms first. It's not like they're hard to find.

Edit: I also find it funny how you think Firefox is the One Browser to Rule Them All. Safari and IE do not support VP8.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote