View Single Post
Old 2018-01-08, 23:37   Link #54
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Like this first episode so far. [edit]... but not the second[/] No source material, no "well meaning" spoilers to expect in the anime thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
True but these aren't close friends. It seems that the main cast is going to be a group of strangers who all happen to have a similar goal and who all just happen to be cute girls. I didn't mind so much in Sound Euphonium either until it became strangely apparent how skewed the gender ratio was in that band.[...]
The composition of the band in Sound! Euphonium is a realistic reflection of ratios, according to, for example: "Wind Bands and Cultural Identity in Japanese Schools" (2012) by David G. Hebert:
Quote:
Like most competitive school bands in Japan, the Ishikawa Middle School band consisted mostly of girls. In fact, the band had a 95% female membership, a ratio that is not unusual among such ensembles. During most rehearsals, only 2 boys were present among the 65-70 girls […](p.186)
I haven't read this book but just ran into it when looking for ways to post a reply. Looks interesting for a topic like this too. Videos of Japanese concert bands illustrate such ratios as well.

[Edit]After a few cursory keyword searches and only skimming the preview pages online, I tentatively conclude and can't help but note here provisionally, that the gender divisions, the ratios, in Hebert's book appear to be binary.[/edit]

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2018-01-10 at 06:00.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote