View Single Post
Old 2011-02-18, 16:13   Link #231
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
You cannot possibly argue that the goal of Strikers was not to add a sense of maturity and world building to the Nanoha franchise that was clearly lacking beforehand.
StrikerS was simply fleshing out the world of the Nanoha franchise, and adding a new dimension (and new central characters) to the Nanoha franchise in order to take advantage of its established popularity.

It has nothing to do with trying to make a cynical magical girl show, or trying to account for some supposed lack of maturity.

Quote:

The reason I said it wouldn't make sense is that, if we were just dropped into pure carnage, it would be hard to take this seriously as a deconstruction of the magical girl genre.
NGE had its characters frequently dropped into pure carnage (and End of Eva was almost entirely pure carnage). Did that make it hard to take seriously as a deconstruction of super robot anime?

I would argue that Anno's approach there made NGE's deconstruction effort that much more compelling.

Quote:
Also, I think the lack of overly exciting action is just again part of the deconstruction.
Did NGE's "overly exciting action" make its deconstruction any less compelling to you? And NGE had plenty of very exciting action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Episode 3 had quite enough of that.
I disagree. If you only show one character die, then that death starts to seem like an isolated incident the longer you go on without another character death. So the impact of it wanes in time if it isn't complimented by other casualties.

At this point, the impact of Mami's death has waned for me, and it's starting to seem a bit isolated to me.

Quote:
The fact that the mascot creature is a manipulative prick instead of a sincere ally adds quite a bit more grim darkness.
People disagree on Kyubey quite a bit. For those of us who disagree with you on Kyubey, we are not going to get the same 'grimdark' impact from him as you do. In fairness, that is a subjective matter, but we are discussing (mostly, if not entirely) subjective opinions here.

Quote:

She was basically tricked into undergoing a surgery that she did not give informed consent to,
She agreed to take on a position which clearly required her to undergo bodily change. Is it Kyubey's fault that Sayaka never asked for the specific nature of those changes?

Quote:

This isn't quite valid, because Madoka Magica is supposedly a mahou shoujo show, not shounen or tokusatsu. Having a young girl advertised to be one of the main heroines get her head chewed off in the third episode goes beyond conventions here.
Sure, and that made the first run-in between Sayaka and Kyoko that much more dramatic and intense.

But if you don't follow up that one death with another nasty casualty or injury suffered during battle, it starts to lose its effect with time. At least for me it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
The monsters in Sailor Moon were often humanoid in appearance (or if not, they had a human form for disguise) and could speak. That gives them more humanity than the Witches in Madoka.
Personally, I'm no more freaked out by a monstrous non-humanoid than by a monstrous humanoid. But to each their own.

Quote:
Cardcaptor Sakura usually fought alone, but they still had someone they could trust.
For a very long time, Cardcaptor Sakura had no magical girl or magical boy ally that she could turn to. Like Sayaka, all she had was a a normal human friend.

Quote:
There were Sailor Moon battles that took place on Earth in public.
But not all of them did. So if Sailor Moon had died in a non-public and/or off-planet fight, she'd suffer the same fate that Sayaka would from dying in combat.

Quote:
... but none of the MGs in Madoka are antagonists.
Kyoko was clearly presented as an antagonistic figure at first. Just because she called a truce this episode doesn't change that. It's no different than the Wolkenritter of Nanoha, really.

And the only serious magical girl vs. magical girl fights in this anime have involved Kyoko.

Quote:
It's nonsensical to kill off a character with development for the sake of showing brutality.
I strongly disagree. Many war-based animes show multiple character deaths (or character deaths at regular intervals) in order to remind the viewer of just how brutal the war is, and to remind the viewer of the stakes involved. I've seen this used very effectively in many mecha animes.

Quote:
Anyway, as for Kyousuke, Hitomi gave Sayaka plenty of time. While it looks like Hitomi only gave her a day,
It doesn't "look like" that. Is is that. Hitomi very specifically gave her one day.

One day is not plenty of time for a young girl with a big crush to gather up the courage to make a confession.

Hitomi could be more considerate here, imo.