View Single Post
Old 2011-07-16, 16:52   Link #9
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Technically, this was supposed to be Pixar's first live-action film, but the production company realized they didn’t have the means to release a live-action film (at least not a big-budget action film), so Disney took over. But, many of the main workers on the film are Pixar regulars: Andrew Stanton (the director/writer of Wall-E and Finding Nemo) is directing and co-writing the film; Mark Andrews (director for the upcoming Brave) is the other head writer. Additionally, Jim Morris (producer for Wall-E, Up, and Ratatouille) is a producer; and Michael Giacchino (composer for The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Up, etc) will do the music. (Also a lot of technical work is being done by Pixar).

Not Pixar related, but author Michael Chabon is also one of the screenwriters.

So, there is a lot of quality behind this production, even if it is Disney releasing the film.

The song was "My Body is a Cage" by Arcade Fire (performed by Peter Gabriel...who did the wonderful closing theme to Wall-E ). So, no country here...
I understand the film will probably be a quality production James.
I'm just not sure that it will capture the savage nature of Edgar Rice Burrough's Barsoom.

As Vexx and Roger Rambo have pointed out, the Barsoom series is basically a Sci-Fi version of Rober E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian.

If Disney makes this an "R" rated film of the quality of John Milius' 1982 film, then it will be worth watching.

The trailer is certainly enticing, but seeing Dejah Thoris (Princess of Helium) dressed in clothing detracts from how savage Burrough's vision of Martian culture is.

Essentially John Carter is supposed to be a civilized Brute in a technologically advanced society that has regressed to Barbarism.