Thread: Licensed Taishou Yakyuu Musume
View Single Post
Old 2009-07-13, 19:17   Link #81
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noe View Post
I was surprised as well. Probably worth a lot since I recall hearing a story that you can get a hot dog+beverage+slice of pizza for a nickel in the USA back in the days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Yah that's sort of what I was thinking too... hm, did they used to have currency smaller than the yen?

Anyway, off to Wiki

Okay, now to figure out what a US dollar was worth soon after WWII and calculate it from that... hm, much higher exchange rate than it is today, though, isn't it? What is it today, about 90 to 1?

EDIT: Found a calculator that returns 6 different evaluations on the value of the USD through history... all six of them being wildly different, the lowest saying a dollar in 1949 was worth 9 today, the highest saying 50... XD Let's compromise and approximate that as... 25. So if one 1949 dollar was worth three hundred sixty 1949 yen and 25 modern dollars, that means one 1949 yen is worth about... seven modern yen? o_O
Is this surprising? Devaluation of currency is the main tool to safeguard economies against stagnation and recession. For the negative side you can always watch Zeitgeist
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote