View Single Post
Old 2012-04-21, 04:56   Link #169
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
Yuuji Everyleads: In case you haven't seen aniblogs that have used this term, these are basically everyday characters without any depth with the character coining this term being Yuuji Sakai from Shakugan No Shana. I really hate these guys because they're just...there. That's it. I barely remember they exist. They are completely useless to the show, except to make a character we can identify with. And isn't that a big insult to my face.

[...]

Sexist Females who aren't funny: Speaking of not being funny, Yami from To-Love-Ru is quite possibly one of the most detestable characters I have ever seen because she's a sexist tool who fails to make me laugh. And so is every other female who falls under this category. I despise them all due to how mean-spirited they are, and to make matters worse, I can't think of a single sexist female who was funny in anime (maybe Hinoe from Natsume's Book of Friends, but she's not that sexist). I think the only one I liked was that man-hating teacher from Daria, and that's Western Animation.

Yes, I have seen some sexist males in anime, but some of them are funny, and the ones who aren't are put in the bully category.
Yes. To-Love-Ru (manga, haven't seen the anime) is the perfect example of anime clichés.

But aside from that, shows like To-Love-Ru have many tropes that contradict themselves.

Because of "Double Standards" the shows uses "Violence is OK, if it's female to male", as it would be "far too dangerous to show a male person be violent on a female, because that could not possibly be played for laughts".
To me that is BS, because EVERY damn girl in the show is stronger than the protagonist and additionally an alien.
And no, the slapstick comedy in that show is not funny.

Well this is not the only romantic comedy/ harem, that follows this absurd way of thinking.

That however was just a smaller picture. While this absurd behaviour can be seen in many shonen anime/manga, the same thing, but reverted, happens in shojo anime/manga... the girl usually gets pushed around psychologically by the male lead and that usually does not change until the end.
With that in mind i can only come to the conclusion, that all 1st main characters from any show, be it female or male, are the weak willed ones, that are pushed around by the 2nd character.

And since we are supposed to identify with the 1st main character, do manga artists/ anime studios view all their customers as masochists now?
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote