Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Nagi no Asukara (Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea)
View Single Post
Old 2014-01-18, 11:30   Link #1596
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
My point is I don't think his attitude now is any different from before. He did smile more often, but that's because he wasn't in the same situation as he is now. His grandpa is in the hospital and he believes he's got no chance with the girl he loves, he doesn't have much reason to be upbeat. He's the kind of character that keeps everything to himself and suffers in silence. The way he is now is understandable, and I don't think he's hurting anybody besides himself so it's not a major issue yet. He isn't treating others any differently than before, he's always been kind of apathetic and indifferent (at least that's the impression I got). In the first cour, he was the just the guy who gave others advice, and he could do that because he was an outsider. Now he's right in the middle of a love triangle and he doesn't know what he should do anymore. For the first time in the series, he is confused, and that makes him more human and likable in my eyes.
I guess we see him differently. In the first cour I saw him as someone more approachable, someone who if talked to, would give a more engaging response. We see plenty of times where someone is upset, and he steps in, both on purpose and by accident, to give them advice. He wasn't afraid to interact with people who he doesn't even hang around with that much and have a say. Now all I see is him trying to do what's best for Chisaki without considering anyone elses feelings or opinion which from one point of view if you're supporting Chisaki, can look romantic and caring, but from another point of view if you care about other characters, can look selfish and annoying.

Quote:
I've read them, and I don't get it. When it comes to the study of the sea, his much more experienced professor has already questioned and examined Hikari (or will soon, it wasn't clear how much work they did), so there's no reason for him to drop by Akari's house (as was already explained, Hikari and him aren't that close and they're now "rivals"). He isn't doing anything because there's nothing he can do at the moment besides waiting for Chisaki to sort out her feelings. Now that Hikari is back and the two have reconnected, he might go on the attack soon.
A good point with the professor, I didn't think of that. Although my point still stands about his interaction with other people, I still can't bring myself to like his character at the moment until he starts showing better interactions with them.