Thread: Licensed UN-GO (noitaminA, BONES)
View Single Post
Old 2011-11-05, 06:59   Link #294
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I enjoyed episode 4 a lot. The show is going to very interesting places, and it's clear they've no intention to follow the usual anime storytelling routines (which is the reason, I guess, why many people are frustrated by it - the show doesn't do what they expect it to do).

I quite liked the conflicting viewpoints regarding AI and robots and humans - sure, it's nothing new and in anime GITS:SAC has already discussed all these issues in-depth. But still, it's an interesting situation: on one hand we've got the usual situation with the Evil Military trying to exploit AIs for their own evil purposes, but on the other hand there's their own creator who thinks it's OK if people use androids to satisfy their desires, no matter how inhumane they are, because hey, they're robots. As funny as it first seemed when Kazamori tried to "repay" Shinjuurou for his help, it turns disturbing pretty fast when one stops to think about Kazamori analyzing Shinjuurou's moves and acting in accordance, to satisfy him... and the fact that Komamori made Kazamori this way. Ugh.

Also, kudos to Shinjuurou's voice actor, he's doing a pretty good job. It's not an easy role, and I think Bones took a big risk with giving it to someone who is not a pro seiyuu. (Then again, they took the same risk with Oguri Shun and Doumoto Kouichi in Juuousei, and it worked out fine...)
Still, I don't see the issue with using robots to do whatever as long as they went along with it. Fighting robots? They can't die or feel pain. Sex robots? No more humiliating than being a trash compactor. It's a job and someone had to do it.

With Kazamori. she (I will call her a she from now on) never actually hated the creator for the sex. It's just her job she learned to do really well. The only things she objected to is hurting humans and lying.

There was nothing broken about her being a sex toy. No more than an AI spending its existence as a fridge. All the immorality issues brought up were all lies; the creator has a rather strong sense of morals, with his only genuine crime being killing someone to fake his own death.

The AI just doesn't act like a victim, because she wasn't a victim. She was a tool. That was why at the end, she asked what the MC will do with her, what orders will he give. She is in the end, created to serve.

Also, don't forget that she actually refused to snitch. It was within her power to give evidence that implicate her creator directly, but she refused. She only got him implicated indirectly by letting it be known that she isn't capable of murder. There was no hatred about any "rape". What little negative feelings are associated with the murder, and the framing of two innocent people.

I guess my point is that we shouldn't treat robots like humans; we should treat robots the way they want to be treated. Forcing human values on a machine is not kindness.