View Single Post
Old 2011-11-18, 03:27   Link #157
Kylon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Dream View Post
I understand that this isn't a request thread, but would anyone happen to know of any story that features a sort of "meta-world"? I ask because it's still my favorite element of Umineko.

(I also want to thank everyone for their discussion on certain mystery novels, John Dickson Carr and Van Dine have been fun to read. )
If you want a non-Mystery novel, there's the Pages of Pain by Troy Denning. This takes place in the rather strange unconventional fantasy universe of Planescape. The story itself is told by the Lady of Pain, one of the great enigmas of the Planescape universe who appears to be but isn't quite the same as a goddess. In it she tells the story of a hero and his quest to regain his lost honor, but she tells it as it is happening. At times though, she talks to the reader directly, and at times she figures out that the reader has interfered with her manipulations of the hero. (For good or for worse, as the pain she inflicts she claims will help the hero.)

Not a mystery, but I thought the interplay between the reader and the Lady of Pain was interesting. (If any character from that setting could be on the same level as the reader it is her.)

I'm not recommending it as a mystery, but just pointing out the interesting aspect of 'surprising' the reader by making it sound like you were involved.

Spoiler for About the story: