View Single Post
Old 2012-09-16, 22:08   Link #23724
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
US arms sales spike to record levels, Gulf leading buyer

Published on 16 Sep 2012 by RussiaToday

The world may be terrified of a potential war with Iran, but for arms producers - tensions fear is good business. So it is for the Unites States. According to a recent Congressional Research Service report, within just one year the US has tripled its arms sales and half of what US sold last year went to Gulf states.

Published on 26 Aug 2012 by AlJazeeraEnglish

US weapons sales hit a record high in 2011, according to a congressional report. The country sold $66bn worth of arms last year, tripling the number it sold in 2010. The previous record was $31bn in 2009. The report said that the sales were driven by countries in the Gulf region, where tension centred around potential military action against Iran has been building. The biggest customer for the US arms industry was Saudi Arabia, according to the report. All in all, the US sold 78 per cent of the world's arms in 2011. Russia was a distant second, with $4.8bn in arms sales. Al Jazeera speaks to Richard Weitz, the director for the Centre for Political-Military Analysis at the Hudson Institute in Washington DC, about the significance of the latest revelations.

66 billion dollars that no regular Joe will ever see... Am I too paranoid to assume that the military industrial complex is itching to start a war with Iran?
There's politics and there's capitalism. This is not about capitalism. I know arm merchants are an easy target, but let's not make this into a caricature.

As the news said, it has much more to do with the insecurity of the Saudi regime rather than arm sales. I can see why they are nervous after the Arab spring and what is happening to several of their neighbors. Whether this actually providing security or doing the opposite and raising tensions is another topic.

Iran is allies with China and Russia. No one is going to benefit from that conflict. EVERYONE is going to get fucked.

Yes, it's clear there are people that fanning the flames from both within and outside the USA, but as far as I can tell, profit is not the motive.

which is why I'm really nervous on what Isreal and Iran is going to do in the next month. They don't have $$$ in mind. That would make it things predictable, actually

For them this is about survival and they're really tense and paranoid
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell

Last edited by Key Board; 2012-09-16 at 22:20.