Thread: Licensed D.Gray-man (Season 2)
View Single Post
Old 2006-10-04, 22:20   Link #96
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

D.Gray-man First Thoughts

Let me say this: I Have NEVER Read the Manga

However, I did my research regarding this anime, so I won't be asking beginners' questions that will obviously be answered eventually in the anime.

Making that aside, here's what I think of D.Gray-man

What a blast to start the autumn season and prepare the mood for Halloween. Episode one packed a punch at everything not going at extreme sideaways, switching from one mood to the other.

Allen is a dutiful exorcist who means on taking caution while doing his job and ensuring that innocent people won't get struck in the line of fire. However, he's not the type to sternly take his demon hunting as an overzealous fanatic.
On the surface and for most of the time he's just your average human being, lax and comfortable with pleasures of a simple and modest life. Moreover, I find highly imaginative the use of 'Demons' meant to be more of techno-organic weapons taking on shapes of dangerous machinery while wearing literally live human bodies.
The whole concept of tormented souls bound by a chain of destiny to a human in despair reminds just a little bit of Bleach's Hollows turning from wandering souls. But this is a totally different scope.
The 'Akuma' and their transformations bring forth some nasty imagery taken from horror fantasy; I for my case particularly liken them with the first two Hellraiser films.

The deal is I know that the Earl of the Millenium is the so referenced 'manufacturer', that Allen kindly bother to give the introductory course about the birth of Akuma.
I found him wicked but cool character that I could not bring myself to hate just for now. Honestly, both his nasty grin and psychotic eyes bring me memories of Hellsing's Alucard.
What type of creature is he.

Other similarities or parallels that I found was Allen's trademark arm. I could easily choose to make the comparison with FMA's Edward Elric's FullMetal arm, however, Allen's closely resembles an Oni no Te (Ogre's hand)
Another character who possess a demon's hand is Nueno Meisuke from Jigoku Sensei Nube, and that guy happens to be an exorcist though from a different league than Allen.

Lastly, the setting and gothic mood I mostly associate more so with Edgan Allan Poe's dark stories. Particularly, cute and dark picture-book illustrations when Allen is explaining about the 'Akuma'.
D.Gray-man brought me nostalgic memories about Chrno Crusade, but because of the era and settings. But I can realise that it also carries scientific style to that of FMA mixed with its unique comedy flair.

Simply, I love anything from the 1890's to 1930's time era brought live to the screen for sci-fi, fantasy stories than involved the occult, alchemy, mechanics, and funny protagonists like Allen for D.Gray-man

Count me in to follow each of the episodes.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote