View Single Post
Old 2012-07-18, 03:36   Link #39
MartianMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
It spawned 11 more games , many oav's and drama cd's. Not bad for just a "cult hit".
At it's prime it had competition from the famous Street fighter II. If you meant prime and competiton with tournaments, then you are obviously lacking information in the japanese fighting game tournament department, because Samurai spirits V and VI were present in the biggest annual japanese tournament Tougeki of 2005 and 2006.
To be fair I don't follow the japanese tourneys that closely however I will have to point out that just because it had a presence(I'm betting a very minor presence) in a tournament does not elevate it from it's cult hit status.

And tell me... Those drama cds and oavs who are they mostly about? They are mostly about Nakoruru....

Quote:
I never forgot it, but primary does mean the most dominent or prominent factor. My examples why visual novels that have good visuals are not known is a good counter argument, seeing that most people in this forum barely know about any characters in VN that not have been adapted in animes regardless that the art are in some occasions much better than most characters designs that i have seen in animes.
Like I said it's not a counter. Please I know for a fact that there are tons of well designed characters out there that didn't become popular no need to point out the obvious. What part of "everything else is secondary" do you not understand? Just because character quirks, traits, and whatnot are only secondary does not mean they cannot make a character recognizable.

Quote:
No, he actually said identifiable as in more than character designs.

You are only focusing on one aspect what he mentioned: the character design. While the topic starter probably had a much wider vision in mind, if you look at the red and bolded parts that i quoted.

edit: seeing that you very likely seem to like Puella Magi Madoka Magica because of your avatar and signature, let me ask you one thing:
Did you watch Puella Magi Madoka Magica primarily for the character design?

Based on your previous posts saying that "that character designs is the number one factor" , it must be yes.
How do you even begin to apply your interpretation on BRS before the OVA and anime came out? I won't deny that I'm focusing on one aspect of what he mentioned but you know it's the only aspect you can even use on every character. Every character has it's own design be it written or drawn but not every character enjoys exposure and development.

And to answer your question, no, I did not watch PMMM based on character design. I never checked it's commercials to begin with. I simply checked it out because it is a Shaft show and I am glad I did.

Now let me ask you this: Why do you think Tecmo deemed it necessary to revamp Ryo's character design?
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!

Last edited by MartianMage; 2012-07-18 at 03:58.
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote