View Single Post
Old 2012-03-26, 07:12   Link #219
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
Well what else are clues when you get down to it. Even in a classical detective story a hint won't jump into your face and scream ''recognize me''...at least not in a story that is a challenge.
I think Ledgem means that a clue is a type of information, that would enable a relatively smart person to figure it out.
A clue that confuses the hell out of you or is too hidden is by definition not a clue.

Interesting that you mention classical detective stories, because frankly, this is what always annoyed me about Sherlock Holmes stories or Hercule Poirot.
It always amazed and annoyed me, how they can pull the right conclusions seemingly out of nowhere, because not even in hindsight do I think the evidence points unmistankingly towards the one and only conclusion. So usually after the superdetective revealed the truth to the audience, I felt screwed over. In most cases I didnt think he could have guessed the truth by the evidence provided.... or to put it differently, the evidence was painting a million of different scenarios and the fact the detective managed to pick the right one looked as likely to me as a win in the lottery.