View Single Post
Old 2012-07-21, 10:07   Link #80
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
The problem isn't even really Haru's lack of self-esteem. Hell, I used to be the poster child for low self-esteem and depression, but I never once let it hold me down. Haru's biggest problem can be summed up in two words: big ego. Yes, it is possible to have a low self-esteem and a big ego at the same time. Actually, in most cases of the "emo teen", this is exactly what it is.

You've got a kid who's been picked on all his life and for some reason or another, feels the world owes him something because of it. When it doesn't happen, he goes into a spiraling depression. Haruyuki is a classic case of it. He makes big speeches about protecting Kuroyukihime's dream, but as soon as hardship comes, he gives up. He did it against the Red King. He did it again here.

Another sign is the way he doesn't believe his friends, no matter what they do. No matter how much KYH assure him that she loves only him, he still sees her as pitying him and doesn't believe it. His ego won't allow him to. When things don't go his way, he breaks down. When his friends try to help him, he automatically sees it as pity and he lashes out. And maybe it is pity.

His friends aren't helping him, either. Instead of giving into his "woe is me" tantrums, they need to stop enabling him. They need to help him realize that he needs to grow up, get over himself and realize the world doesn't revolve around his fat ass. They need to give him a swift kick in the nuts. Or rush him to a psychiatrist ASAP as he's got a lot more than self-esteem issues going on. He's got Borderline Personality disorder.
It's nice that you went into some more detail, though reading this post honestly just leaves me more confused than before. I don't see why Haruyuki is self-entitled just because someone did something horrible to him and stole something important to him, and he's unhappy about it. I mean, if someone that was well-adjusted and had perfectly good self-esteem was bullied by someone, blackmailed, and stolen from, I'm sure they would be depressed also. And I don't see how Haru being suspicious of KYH means that he's in love with the pitiable martry role and doesn't want to give it up. The situation with KYH is suspicious because she's shown deep feelings from the very start, before Haru had even spoken to her much. Haru's suspicious sometimes because there doesn't seem to be much support for just why her feelings would be so deep. And in any case, I don't see how disbelieving someone's praise means that you're in love with being pitiable and tragic and want to cling to that role. Sometimes it's just simple disbelief, the end.

You seem to be jumping to a bunch of wild conclusions about Haru and extrapolating things at random. With Haru I see nothing but a goodhearted, brave kid that deserves a lot of praise and respect, even if he's insecure at times, that is going through a reasonable amount of human emotion over stressful circumstances. People like you (Or at least the way you're coming across in this one post) make me paranoid sometimes, honestly; those that give others undue blame and jump to a bunch of erratic conclusions about the way they think and feel. I'd rather not to have to worry about whether someone might think, if I accidentally oversleep one morning before school, that I think the school owes it to me to let me sleep however late I please, that I'm unappreciative of my education, that I'm a communist and a racist, that I hate my parents, and that I spend my spare time kicking puppies for fun.