Thread: Feedback Tag Discussion
View Single Post
Old 2008-05-27, 07:55   Link #69
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
This appears to be using the tags the wrong way round. I think that if you want to search for a genre, then you should have actual series discussion threads returned, not the oddles of threads that offer the suggestions.
I respectfully disagree. If I were looking for "romantic comedy" wouldn't it be useful to get lists of them as well as a collection of individual series threads? Moreover the lists in the Suggestions forum often include comparative discussions about the merits of different series. It would take a lot longer to glean the same type of information from reading individual series threads.

Also one of the biggest problems with the Suggestions forum in my eyes is the enormous amount of redundancy that occurs. I had the, perhaps unrealistic, view that tagging in this forum would cut down on the n+1th romantic comedy request, since it would be easier to skim the tagged Suggestions threads that deal with that subject.

I know that tagging is supposed to improve searching across forums more than within them, but I thought the Suggestions forums presented a rather special case. It would be hard for me to go back through, find, and delete the few dozen tags I've inserted. If you think they're not appropriate, xris, just delete them. I won't be offended. If you think tagging isn't appropriate in this forum entirely, is there any way to turn it off selectively? Leaving it enabled will inevitably lead to people submitting tags.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote