View Single Post
Old 2006-04-19, 05:24   Link #63
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofgrahf
Yes lying would be wrong under categorical imperative, the thing is lying under ANY circumstance would be wrong under categorical imperative, as a dutch boat captain lying to a german captian in WWII that there are no jews aboard, that would also be considered wrong under categorical imperative eventhough it will save everyone's lives. Hence categorical imperative is flawed, because under it any lying any killing even in self defense would be wrong and we never used cateogorical imperative in real life so why dissucse a philosophy that was, is and never will be used?

And yes you can do other wise, but is doing other wise in your best interest? of course not, humans watch out for their own interest, thats a proven fact, it happens everyday. I fail to see how you can condemn Mistuki for watching out for her interest when you are doing it all the time as well, thats call hypocrisy
And THATS's the main reason my moral is consisted of TWO rules instead of just the categorical imperative. And the categorical imperative is the second rule. The categorical imperative IS right however on its own in a number of cases, but I have found out that I needed to rules complementing and controlling each other for the moral system to be effective. In the above case, the first axiom would point out that telling the truth would cause great harm to people, and that would be further strengthened by the categorical imperative (what if everyone gave away that there are Jews hiding somewhere?) Which of course, results in a huge number of deaths, that my first axiom doesn't comply with.

The difference between you and me is that I am perfectly aware of the morality of any action I do (to the fault of being guilty). I am perfectly aware that my rules condemn many selfish actions as morally wrong, but that also means I can a) refrain from doing it or b) regret and seek to atone, if I am forced to act for whatever reason. Unlike you, I am not stuck with certain actions being "inevitable", "necessary","human" and therefore claim that any further justification is invalid. Does that make me more immoral because I am aware of what I am doing instead of claiming ignorance or refuse responsibility altogether? And of course, I will condemn myself first before others condemn me. Mitsuki is right in that aspect, I think she knows that she outright betrayed her best friend, and she is to be commended for acknowledging that she wronged someone. It's her fanbase that tries to justify the unjustifiable. And no, not ALL people look only after themselves, and I can point you to all martyrs and heroes who gave their lives so that everyone else may live. I don't believe that it's in anyone's best interest to die, so I suggest you don't go out degrading human nature, because it has shone more than countless times.