View Single Post
Old 2013-09-14, 17:51   Link #737
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the movie. When I originally read the plot, it didn't seem to have that "epic" feel of your usual Dragonball Z conflict. You can even see my above comments referring to how it doesn't feel like a part of the main canon... and it's true, after watching it, this feels completely different from what preceded it "chronologically, in-universe."

I was correct in saying so. This definitely wasn't the same type of enjoyment you get watching the Cell saga, for instance. I would say this is very similar in tone and feeling to the early seasons of Dragonball when Goku was still a kid. To be honest, it might even be more lighthearted than that, if possible - this was definitely more lighthearted even than the Tienshinhan and King Piccolo arcs of Dragonball. It's got the stylings and look of your intense DBZ fights, with the carefree, humorous execution of very early Dragonball.

Now personally, I'm more of an epic DBZ guy... the plot here is not as intense or 'cool' as usual. Since it's a movie, we obviously don't have the time to gradually build up the villains as much as the anime villains, either. Despite that, the fight scenes were top notch, as always, and I really enjoyed the humor. One of my favorite funny parts is when Trunks lies and says Mai is his girlfriend So yeah, would I have preferred a Frieza/Cell type atmosphere and conflict? Yes, but I still thoroughly enjoyed what we got. I'm game for more, as seems to be the intention.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote