View Single Post
Old 2006-10-17, 20:20   Link #4
eggplant
Eggplant

This exercise reminds me of the time I spent rummaging through references when I was translating Pani Poni Dash!

This is proof that the chalkboard references for Negima!? are random jabs intended for otaku folks, and certainly not for the people who watch it live during the evening.

Negima references

ep1

Title and illustration drawn by Satou Rina (Negi Springfield)
Chamo's line: ダミダコリャ (It's no good) is the trademark gag by the late Ikariya Chousuke of the comdedy group The Drfiters
Asuna's pose while sleeping: Similar to Takuan Oshou from MUSASHI -GUN DOU-
Chamo's line about not being able to eat frozen Mandarin oranges without a front tooth: from the song 冷凍みかん (Reitou Mikan=Frozen Madarin Oranges), which contains the line, It makes my cavity hurt
The magic circle that appears when Negi casts his spell: Similar to that from the Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha series
Asuna's headgear: typical baka dono type of wig, especially seen in the Shimura Ken Baka Dono TV variety series
Chalkboard 1: 今夜のご飯は? What's tonight's meal?
Chalkboard 2: ズバリ魚肉ソーセージ!でしょ? I bet it's fish-paste suasages!: Reference to Yamamoto Yohsuke from the anime Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko, where fish-paste sausages are his favorite food
On the desk between Natsumi and Chizuru is an Odenkan, the pre-packed oden in a can, sold in vending machines, popular among the otaku folks who frequent Akihabara
On Chao's desk stands the Xianxingzhe (Senkousha/Forerunner), a bipedal humanoid robot built in China in 2000, which quickly became the target of 2ch jokes, such as its "Chinese Cannon" monicker for what seems to be a cannon-like crotch on its joints
The silhouette on Asuna's happi: Akagi Shigeru from the anime Akagi
Emboidery on Asuna's happi: Mesousa from Pani Poni Dash!, the character on her sensu (folding fan) is Babo-chan, the mascot for Fuji TV's Volleyball World Grand Prix coverage
Yue's drink: 超神水 (Super Kami Water), the name of the drink Kami gives Gokuu in the anime Dragon Ball Z
Emboidery on Asuna's happi: Switches from Mesousa to Nekokamisama to Ousanshouuo (all from the anime Pani Poni Dash!)
Chalkboard 3: 消しゴムのカドって〜, (What's the corner of an eraser?), オギワラとハギワラってー (Ogiwara and Hagiwara is): Both are jokes by the comedian Fukawa Ryou, the first being "Don't get pissed just because I used the corner of your eraser!", and the latter being "Ogiwara or Hagiwara, no difference" (because the kanji for the words closely resemble each other as in 荻原 vs. 萩原)
Line by Takamichi: 産休の大月先生に代わって (Substituting for Mrs. Ootsuki, who is on maternity leave): The executive planner for Negima!? is named Ootsuki Toshimichi
Chalkboard 4: うおっ!まぶしっ!! (Whoa! It's blinding!!): Line by Musashi in episode 2 of the anime MUSASHI GUN DOU, after Musashi fails to hit Jijouda with his Onmyoudan. The problem was that there was absolutely no indication of him being dazzled by any kind of light during the sequence, making the line a fixture for Musashi jokes among anime fans in Japan
Chalkboard 5: 暑ゅかたでしょ (Hot, wasn't it?), 第24回ガースー祭 (The 24th Gaasuu Festival)
Chalkboard 6: トーマス=マクレガー (Thomas McGregor), コンニチハーートーーキョーウ (Konnichiwa Tokyo)
Chalkboard 7: パンツ パンツ無いわぁ (My pants, my pants are gone!): All five are jokes from the TV variety program "Downtown no Gaki no Tsukai ya Arahen de" (Dowtown's This Ain't no Kiddy Chore), Gaasuu and Thomas McGregor are nicknames of the producer Suga Kenji
Chalkboard 8: ハリ返してハリ返されて? (If you've been sticked, stick it in return): A quote written on a Devil Bikkuriman sticker, ちゅから (Chukara): One liner by Chuukara no Sabu (Mild Spicy Sabu) from the movie "Tachiguishi Retsuden" (Legend of the Standing-style Eatery Masters)
Sticker on the bottom of the metronome next to Nodoka : Nekokamisama from Pani Poni Dash!
Chalkboard 9: ふかわくん一言ネタやってよー (Fukawa-kun, do a one word joke)
Chalkboard 10: しっこく (Shikkoku): The two are from the aforementioned "Gaki Tsukai" show, the latter is a joke by Dynamite Shikoku, a fictious wrestler played by comedian Endou Shouzou of Coco Rico, parodying the "Hustle, Hustle" joke of Ogawa Naoya by chanting "Shikkoku, Shikkoku", ざわ・・・ ざわ・・・ (Zawa...Zawa...): Trademark sound effect used in the manga Akagi to express the bustling noise associated with mahjong parlors
Chalkboard 11: 今日、東京都庁にジャムパン仕掛けた! (Today, I planted a jam bread in the Tokyo Metropolitan City Hall): A 2ch thread in the VIP topics
Chalkboard 12: 犯人の名前がタイトルというのはどうなのでしょう (What's with the title having the suspect's name on it?): From the TV drama "Odoru Daisousasen" (Basyside Shakedown) series
Chalkboard 13: えっ!? 友好的なワードナー? (Huh? A friendly Werdna?): The archnemesis in the RPG Wizardry, 田口ヤーブロー (Taguchi (Ya Bro)): The spell "Ya Bro" in the RPG "Dungeon Master" resembles the kanji 田口, which is read as Taguchi, ♂押忍♂ オラ、ガクブルン (Osu, I'm gakuburun): Not sure of this one, except that it's the greeting of Son Gokuu in the anime Dragon Ball Z
Chalkboard 14: あぁぁ まってー (Ahhh, wait for meee): Line by Miyata Akira in the anime Pani Poni Dash!, An illustration of Chiyo-chan's head and braids from the anime Azumanga Daioh
Chalkboard 15: だっぽん (Dappon): Line by Zaizen Joutarou from the self titled anime, where he is supposed to be saying "Da Bomb", which can only be heard as Dappon, making it the trademark line for the title
Chalkboard 16: んんん〜〜〜ジャイアント光線だな (Hmmm, it's a giant beam) Line from the anime Gunbuster?
Chalkboard 17: 男塾万歳っ (Otokojuku Banzai): from the manga Sakigake! Otokojuku, ちょちょ(っと?)まてー!! (H-Hey, wait a second!!) いまいましいイギリス野郎 (You cursed Brit): lines by Stroheim directed towards Joseph Joestar in the anime Jojo's Bizarre Adventure)
Next episode title: Written by Kanda Akemi (Kagurazaka Asuna)
Bakarangers: Opening sequence from the live action tokusatsu sentai series, Battle Fever J. The logo design is identical to Taiyou Sentai Sun Vulcan.
Bakarangers are also modeled after the Sun Vulcan troops.
Sponsor credit background is drawn by Satou Rina (Negi)

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein