View Single Post
Old 2009-11-03, 15:46   Link #799
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Ugh, is it just me or is the light novel poorly planned? The entire series has a brilliant premise, but I feel that the plot is terribly written.

A few gripes I have:
1) The author didn't build on Touma's memory wipe and left the situation basically untouched for over 10 volumes (except for the little thing with his family). Earlier on I was wondering if the wipe was even necessary, because his personality isn't any different. There clearly could have been an arc based on just him pondering about it and his efforts to not let anyone else know, because well... the series is basically about him and should be called A Certain Imagine Breaker anyway.

2) This is a bit personal, but if Touma is able to hide his memory wipe from basically everyone, he's actually pretty intelligent. So why is he so dumb on so many other things?

3) Why can't the author focus on the current characters instead of introducing at least two more Christian sects and four mysterious Academy City groups? Why is there a harem (do we need more?) instead of developing, say, Kuroko?

Some things the author is doing appear to be a real waste for the content available. Based on this, I may not like the prospects of a second season, because they just marginalize the current characters.