View Single Post
Old 2012-05-16, 10:36   Link #3
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
8/10 for the first three episodes sounds about right to me as well.

However, I have to disagree with you, Arabesque, on the 3-Episode rule and on this show displaying its main strong points from the very first episode.

I'm a big believer in the 3-episode Rule, and sure enough, it was the third episode of this anime that truly sold me on it. And I think that it wasn't until the third episode that one of the main strong points of this show was displayed: Overarching mysteries tying directly and personally into the main cast of the show.

Up until the third episode, the only mysteries we really had were small episodic ones, and many viewers found them inane, as you did. No matter how good the animation and attention to visual detail is, this is still billed as a Mystery anime (not just a straight-up Slice of Life) and so some people watching this show were hoping for good mysteries, so I don't see how that could be considered anything less than one of the main strength of the show (since going by Episodes 3 and 4, it may in fact have that strength after all).

Mind you, the visual strengths of the show were displayed well from the very first episode, and three of the four main cast members received good introductions in the first episode. But that's just the good foundational work for what the show is actually about, imo.