View Single Post
Old 2012-09-21, 22:46   Link #30722
GuestSpeaker

Quote:
EP8 decided that nobody knew how the characters were in reality
I always thought it depicted that since pieces can't do what their models couldn't, that these people were much more 3d than we gave them credit. Sure they could fight and be petty and kill in the right circumstances, but they could just as easily be nice and play games and have a good time.

Quote:
I think Umineko is a layered story. What we're supposed to figure out is:
This summary sort of reflects how I feel, but also ties into something I've been noticing. The parallels between the who Yasu and Battler's promise and Ikuko and Battler's amnesia. Battler's sin was not reneging on his promise, but forgetting it. Here's a thought I've only half formed:

- Battler has amnesia, and forgets whatever new life he had begun with Yasu/Shannon (so maybe did come back for her or whatever)
- When being reminded of Battler, he goes into painful attacks of something
- He somehow seems ok with reading the forgery about the incident (prepared according to Beatrice "on a whim" (so maybe written beforehand or for some other reason))
- Meta-Beatrice is playing a game to get Battler to remember he made a promise, and for it she must constantly put him through the paces or seeing his family murdered in different ways (writing forgeries with him, enjoying the game but not realising until later that he actually feels real pain about it)

I am phrasing this badly, but basically, what if the white horse promise is just a representation of what Battler actually forgot, the fact they were going to start anew together. It is a little bit 'the vow' or whatever that movie is. Battler never sinned against Beatrice (Ikuko) but forget the relationship they had that began it all.

It makes Ikuko the culprit, because she is killing them over and over again just for her "ceremony". It doesn't go any way to explaining prime though (in which something clearly happened) and still has Yasu as a selfish enough person, but it fits with the story nicely.

As for what did happen on Prime, there was clearly an explosion incident, and Yasu probably had some part in it. But when you are playing with explosives, you don't need to actively kill every person individually, it just needs to happen.

I only really can't decide why Yasu wouldn't just be upfront about it, though Battler did ask that himself.
GuestSpeaker is offline   Reply With Quote