View Single Post
Old 2012-11-15, 20:41   Link #122
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
While I personally didn't get interested in T&B for the Fujoshi angle honestly I'm more inclined to believe that the Newtype readers would be into it more for that reason than a mecha angle. I just haven't seen much evidence to suggest a lot of Japanese otaku think all that particularly hard about why they like characters and thus to me it just seems more plausible that that would be the reason. It'd mesh better with the whole distilled moe voting block thing that Newtype has going on as well. I wish there were more evidence to the contrary and I didn't have to generalize and assume things about Japanese fans but time and time again they make very emphatic gestures as to have simple arbitrary reasons for character appreciation. Sorry Triple but while I so want to support youe argument and while in almost any other case it would be a totally rational and well thought out one, evidence and history kind of sides with Westlo and Last Sinner here.
The reason why I'm supporting the mecha angle is because I think that's the most logical explanation for why Kira, Lelouch, Lacus, and Sheryl are all mainstays in these NewType polls. And if they're there because mecha fans are keeping them there, then that means that a significant portion of New Type's readership are serious mecha fans.

In fairness, I suppose you could almost as easily chalk up Kira and Lelouch to fujoshis, but that obviously doesn't explain Lacus and Sheryl.

You have two really old female characters that are practically fixtures in these polls, and they're very different characters from one another. But one thing they have in common is that they're both from famous mecha titles - Gundam Seed and Macross Frontier respectively.

Maybe part of why Kotetsu is here is because of fujoshis, but I still wouldn't underestimate the mecha fan side of things. It helps that Tiger and Bunny is a Sunrise title, imo. I think that NewType readers have some appreciation for that particular animation studio.