View Single Post
Old 2010-06-12, 02:28   Link #2267
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Which leads many people to hate her just like many hate other comparable Mary Sues.
Ahahaha. Overgeneralizing much?

Practical experience in fanfiction shows me that, if anything, Mari is not a Mary Sue (self-inserts and Mary Sues in general seem to be a Western concept, as I sure as heck don't see them in non-hentai Japanese doujin). If anything, she's a parody of one, given her rather poor track record -- she hasn't gotten Shinji to fall in love with her, hasn't treated Asuka and Rei to a hot lesbian threesome (trust me, it happens), hasn't curb-stomped the Angels (as in, taken them out effortlessly without a scratch), nor does she have everyone else worshiping her like ADAM's gift to humanity. :P

The term that I THINK you're looking for is The Wesley, and even then we can't say that for sure, as she's only been in one movie, so we can't even be sure if Anno really favors her as some people are reading in his interview (which I couldn't see myself).

If she does even half of what I mentioned above, then we can agree that she's a Mary Sue.

Rather, I think she's closer to EVA's version of Golden Lion Shiki: an old concept (or a reworking of one) that was introduced because opportunity (the movies) presented itself to the creator. Hmm, now where did I put those old concept drawings for the series.

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2010-06-12 at 02:44.
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote