View Single Post
Old 2010-06-12, 03:02   Link #2271
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I don't think she's a Wesley character. I'm bent on applying the definition of Mary Sue to Mari unless you can sufficiently explain to me otherwise
Wow, it just means you haven't been exposed to... bad fanfiction in the EVA fandom. Ever, if you're grinning like that. :P

In the early days, before 'ground rules' were even agreed upon, Mary Sues in EVA fanfiction were RAMPANT. Second only to self-inserts, actually. My experience first as a member of EFML, the old Darkscribes, in Evafics.org, then as caretaker of Asuka's Notebook and... Well, inasmuch as I wasn't that a good writer myself in those days, I didn't do self-inserts or Mary Sues. It was just, wrong.

Hmm, I digressed a bit. Suffice to say that, if you're familiar with Shinji and Warhammer 40k, the feats of UNIVERSE BREAKING that Shinji does in that Story is a good barometer of what Mary Sues have been seen doing in EVA fiction on and off in the past decade and a half -- which Mari, I have to say, hasn't even done anything close. She's gotten her arse kicked, twice, in what I might add was not a curb-stomp; in fact it was the opposite, as SHE was the one stomped thoroughly by Zeruel.

The only aspect about her that, really, could be said to be vaguely Mary Sue-ish is the 'plans within plans' comment she had, but that's it. Everything else is still plausible within the context of the movies -- even her usage of Unit-02 and the Beast Mode (which that little quip by Ritsuko alludes to be an actual in-built feature this time around).