3.1 -> OKish, worse the MacOS, and way inferior to NeXTSTEP
95 -> awful
98 -> OKish
Me -> awful
XP -> OKish
vista -> worst ever
7 -> OKish
8 -> probably worse the vista
The first 3 versions were nothing more than a graphical DOS shell, but only when 3.1 and later 3.11 came Windows became viable as a business OS, but paled in comparison with OS/2's stability.

Win95's user interface was unusual at the time, with the Start button that marked itself as different from its rivals. Win98 had a slight flaw, an alleged privacy intrusion feature that was built in until it was replaced by Win98SE, which was better.

WinMe, however, was buggy that it really crashed, and I had to revert back to Win98SE at the loss of some of my emails. The introduction of XP forced me to study about its predecessor Windows NT, but it turned out to be fine despite the occasional BSOD from drivers.

I avoided Vista at the time because of the monstrous system requirements, so I was never able to use it, making me stick to XP until this year.

Quote:
Unless one needs to run some closed source stupid software, he is better of with any version of linux, or if he is too lazy and can spend an extra buck MacOS.
As much as I admire Linux for its open-source stability (thus should be great for businesses, schools and governments needing to save much on enterprise-wide OS upgrades, and by extension avoid being harassed by the BSA) and OSX for its clean interface, I've been so grounded into Windows and gaming (and they're so intertwined ever since) for so long that it's still hard for me to let go of Win7 (and as it's widespread, fixing PCs that uses it is part of my job), even if Win8 looks enticing for an upgrade due to the less-than-demanding system requirements rather than the utterly confusing Metro interface (which is now becoming a butt of jokes).

Now going back to topic, I'm sure there will be adware applications no matter what OS we use.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-11-10 at 23:05.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote