View Single Post
Old 2013-06-30, 22:37   Link #97
JamJackEvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Oh please spare me. You have a very weird definition of "far"

Tell me exactly what are those things to the left or even behind of Mitabi's squad? Those are buildings correct? We've seen the grappling hooks hit buildings/trees A LOT further away than where he is. Once the Titans took notice of them they could've easily just shot their grapples to the buildings to the left and then go up there but they didn't. They just stayed on the open ground. I admire their courage but they had options there which allowed them to use their grappling hooks and not just run blindly. I'm not dismissing whether or not they ran into town I'm pointing out that they were more or less within striking distance of the buildings.

How is it that they can randomly hit the correct tree in a forest but they can't hit a giant 10-15m monster from close range? If the Titan was facing them sure I would understand because the Titan's attention is on them. From behind? Can it really be that hard to hit their backs with the grapples from that close range?
I can't speak for Mitabi's squad, since they're all dead, but I found little fault in their makeshift plan. The Titans are more attracted to Eren than normal humans, putting some credence to the theory that they have some remnant of intelligence because they see Titan Eren as a threat that would put a stop to their assault. What Mitabi's squad has merit because standing on the buildings far away won't be enough to distract the Titans away from Eren. They needed to get close. And they needed to stay close lest they lose the attention of the Titans and the Titans return to closing in on Eren.

And as for the problem of them not killing the Titans while their backs were to them... well, comparing the normal soldiers with the likes of Levi and Mikasa is like comparing pre-Holy Grail War Shirou to Dead Apostle Ancestors. Or normal people to a genius. Just because Mikasa showed that she can do it doesn't automatically mean everyone else can do it too! Skills play a part, yes, but there's also great confidence and steeled determination. And they probably don't have enough of both to risk doing that and end up botching it, thereby leaving Eren to deal with Titans coming at him while carrying the giant boulder.

Humanity is counting too much on this for their continued survival and the squads cannot, CANNOT, leave anything to chance and luck. If they really want humanity to win a battle in this long-standing war, then there has to be sacrifices. That's what they're probably thinking, because from the get-go, some of them probably believed in the deep recesses of their minds, that battling the Titans is futile, thus they can only sacrifice their lives for whatever greater good there would be.
JamJackEvo is offline   Reply With Quote