View Single Post
Old 2014-03-19, 08:41   Link #34130
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsnail View Post
Interesting question. The phonecalls are unlike anything seen in past episodes, so it seems possible that they're actually from Tohya's memories.

I think that scene works best if she's being coerced by Yasu - somehow Yasu turned the tables and forced her to try and shield the truth from Battler. It could be that Eva agreed to write out the part about Yasu as well as Battler, in that case.

I don't think Kyrie shot Yasu in the gold room. That's because she was a valuable hostage who could lure Jessica, George and Maria out of the guesthouse, as seen in episode 4. Also I think Kyrie and Rudolf had to be Yasu's accomplices on some level, because otherwise Battler might never have returned.
Well, here we get to the problem of reconciling a possible truth with what ep7 presents, although admittedly we're not 100% confirmed that Eva's POV in ep7 is indeed the truth of her diary. But again, if it isn't, then we'd only know that "the diary is kinda similar," which doesn't help us any.

I say reconciling because we definitely have a potential problem looking at ep4 and ep7 and Kyrie's death. In ep7, there's really no equivocating on the matter: Eva killed Kyrie. If that's the truth of her diary then Eva is admitting that she's the one who took out Rudolf and Kyrie. On the other hand, ep4 certainly seems to be implying that it was Yasu who killed Kyrie, probably at the end of that call as you proposed. Obviously, Kyrie can't die twice.

Let's assume your sequence of events: Gold shootout happens, Eva passes out, Yasu is not killed and is used as a lure for the cousins, Yasu manages to somehow turn the tables or at least escape alive. Now we're at a point where, at least as far as we know, the following people are still alive: Yasu, Battler, Eva, Rudolf, and Kyrie. Rudolf probably dies first, given the sequence of events shown in the ep7 TP. It's possible he died even sooner than that, but for now let's roughly take Eva's word on it (although she doesn't necessarily know how much time has passed). There doesn't seem to be much doubt that Eva kills him (although see below).

Okay, so the Kyrie shooting has to happen, and if Yasu does anything with respect to making Kyrie make a phone call (or if Kyrie makes it of her own volition) that means one of a handful of things:
  • Eva did kill Kyrie when she shot her, and the call either was never made or was made before this, meaning Kyrie didn't really die at the end of the call. Why Kyrie would say the things she said on the phone then I'm not sure.
  • Eva shot Kyrie but didn't kill her, although she thought she did. This is plausible since the same thing happened when Eva was shot, and the Rudolf/Kyrie/Hideyoshi part of Banquet could be argued as a hint as well under certain interpretations. Kyrie crawls off and either makes the call or is found by Yasu and Yasu forces her to make the call. Dying from a wound and unarmed, Kyrie has no choice but to comply. She then either dies on her own or Yasu finishes her off. Eva wouldn't write that part because Eva didn't know that happened.
  • Eva didn't kill Kyrie (or possibly even Rudolf), but chose to write in her diary that she did. The only reason I can see her claiming credit for that crime (self-defense as she wrote it, but still essentially a confession) is that someone else killed Rudolf and Kyrie and she doesn't want the world or Ange to know and hate that person (even though Eva understands they were justified, or at least believes so), so she's taking on their role instead. Sort of supported by the existence of Eva-Beatrice, as the only real opportunity Eva has to become a witch in the sense the story presents is through that diary. It "becomes" the Book of One Truth because it's the only record, regardless of whether it was actually true. Of course, there's really only two people that Eva could be covering for: Battler and Yasu. So this scenario only really makes sense in a situation where on October 6th all three parted amicably, as I doubt Eva would feel any reason to protect those two if she didn't know they survived or thought they were culprits themselves.
The third perspective is interesting because it might actually lend some kind of sense to the decision not to release Eva's diary to the public. If the Hachijous learned through their own research and memories that Eva's diary was an intentional distortion or an incomplete record that misinterpreted facts because Eva didn't grasp their significance, they might realize that its release would necessitate either that they reveal their own truth (that at least one of them is also a survivor) or that they not do that and allow the world to run wild with an incomplete picture. Why they would decide the latter depends on just how much Battler's memories actually revealed, I suppose, but it's hard to know. But if there was an unexplained critical detail that they knew that wasn't in the diary that was needed to understand the truth, then they'd have to explain how they actually came to find out about it when Eva's diary is supposed to be the only source of information. That's a decision they clearly didn't want to make.

But how would that relate to Ange/Meta-Ange? Not really sure. If the BoOT contained some details Eva did witness but which were left out of other segments of the story, maybe there'd be something in there that triggered a different eventual interpretation in her mind. That is, "This is as bad as I hoped and just like I'd been told, but..." The problem being figuring out what the "but" is, and whether it's in the book itself or based on some information learned from elsewhere. Plus there's the issue of what the "real" Ange did and how we're supposed to read the Magic ending. If it's meant to be the true, factual outcome then Ange clearly did decide to take the message to heart and go on living, but what facts accessible to Ange-Prime finally convinced her? Ange-Prime isn't Meta-Ange, so she can only act according to Ange-Prime's own knowledge.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote