View Single Post
Old 2009-11-04, 17:31   Link #397
Dop
Mmmm....

Dear Viz

I appreciate that you licensed the Honey and Clover anime.
I appreciate even more that you've finally started to release it, even though it has taken you YEARS to get around to it.

I can even understand that maybe the rights for Moon River were way too expensive and so you had to change Mayama's ring-tone and remove Rika's singing.

But! Someone in your subtitling department needs firing.

It's one thing that the subtitles refer to people by the wrong part of their name and do not reflect accurately what is being said. Misplaced apostrophes are always just irritating.
But when the subtitles refer to a character by a DIFFERENT character's name, that's just TOO MUCH!!!

For Example. Hanemoto sensei says "Oi Morita" as Morita rolls across the floor in the onsen. The subtitle at this point doesn't say "Morita", or even "Shinobu", it says "Hey Yuta" - which is Takemoto's name and a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CHARACTER!

This is kind of depressing. This is still my favourite series of all time and I wanted it to do well to encourage other shows in a similar vein to get licensed.
Viz have done such a great job of releasing the manga that I can't believe they've done such a shoddy subtitling job on the anime.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote