View Single Post
Old 2011-11-29, 21:29   Link #115
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
Sure, I can infer basic emotions but any delivery more nuanced than that is difficult to appreciate. With a dub, in a language that I'm fluent in, it's far easier to appreciate a skillful deliver or to determine how well the actor is in character. Nonetheless, I often find myself watching subs, as I'm simply not patient enough to wait for the dubs when concernig newly released shows.
I can appreciate that point of view, but I wonder a bit about the diversity of shows you may have watched. Some genres, like high-school comedies, don't give the cast much material to work with. (School Rumble is an noteworthy exception to this tendency.) Dramas offer voice actors more opportunities to display their subtlety.

I recommend you give a listen to a few of Takahiro Sakurai's performances, specifically his work in Bakeneko/Mononoke, House of Five Leaves, and Genji Monogatari Sennenki. In Five Leaves, for instance, he invests a single "Oh?" with layers of meaning and menace.

Among the ladies, Kuwashima Houko displays a wide array of voicings in roles as different as Shurrei in Saiunkoku Monogatari, Clare in Claymore, and "Isako" in Dennou Coil. Her speech in episode eight of Saiunkoku season two is a tour-de-force.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote