View Single Post
Old 2013-03-02, 20:05   Link #64
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
In series like Code Geass mechs are like cars: they're there, they're used, but the series doesn't revolve around them.

That's in line with what was said previously about series becoming more character-driven. Not that earlier mecha series didn't have strong characters or character development, but it was about the mechs. The mechs were central to the storyline in most cases, or they were featured in such a manner that it was clear that society had dramatically changed because of them. You can't think about Evangelion without thinking of the Evangelions, or Eureka Seven without thinking about the Nirvash. But when I think of a series like Code Geass, I totally forgot that it even featured mechs. All I remembered were the characters, their conflicts, and special powers.

In a way i agree with you that the mechs aren't the centre of the story and at the same time i disagree as the mechs in code geass were essential tools for warfare in the story. The outcome of those battles were important strategically.

As for more disagreements: Eureka 7 didn't entirely revolve around the Nirvash, but more about the relation between Eureka and Renton. The nirvash is not the first thing that pops up with me when i think of E7
Or the same for Macross Frontier, the love triangle, music were far more important than the mechas. I can't even remember the names of the mech's in macross Frontier

As for Evangelion, i didn't exactly watch it for the EVA's but for the psychological stuff
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote