View Single Post
Old 2010-06-13, 17:45   Link #10991
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
I don't know why you and others keep suggesting this. I mean it's possible Rudolf just came in and didn't overhear him. I haven't seen anything suggesting anyone other than Jessica knows about it until Battler figures it out. If Eva is the only person out of the loop I'm going to be very disappointed.
The two of them were in the bathroom alone. George was saying Shannon's name a few times while practicing. Rudolf has to be deaf if he didn't overhear George in such an empty bathroom with little to no noise. Rudolf was already inside when George came in as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
George actually cannot do anything regarding marriage to Shannon without Hideyoshi's direct support or a declaration of strict neutrality in whatever conflict this may spark with Eva.

Hideyoshi is George's employer. This is Japan of 1986, where employment is still seen as 'for life' in most industries, and were Hideyoshi to oppose George's desire to marry Shannon, he can make him essentially unemployable by anyone else with one flick of a pen. George is completely at Hideyoshi's mercy in that and has precious little legal recourse against such treatment. Sure, he can fight his mother, he can tell the rest of the family to go die in a fire, but his father is the one person that has George in his power...

While Hideyoshi and Eva are alive, that is. If they mysteriously die, George inherits Hideyoshi's company and this weakness vanishes. So either George has Hideyoshi's approval or he has to kill both Eva and Hideyoshi -- but everyone else's opinion doesn't matter at all.
Except Hideyoshi is not Eva. Hideyoshi just wants to have a big family and grandchildren. I doubt he's going to screw over the son he loves just because he doesn't approve of Shannon. Eva is clearly a different story - she's pretty much obsessed with George's success and running his life.
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote